Ian’s death toll: At least 23 fatalities in six counties, mostly older residents
Tree damage from Hurricane Ian in North Port, in Sarasota County, Florida. Sept 30, 2022. Photo taken by Mitch Perry.
UPDATE: There are now 24 deaths related to Ian. The 24th confirmed fatality was a 72-year-old male from Volusia County who drowned.
Hurricane Ian’s monstrous trajectory in Florida this week has led to at least 23 deaths in six counties, with a dozen of the fatalities in Lee County, where Ian was battering the southwest part of the peninsula.
The deaths were confirmed Friday evening by the Medical Examiners Commission (MEC), which included details such as county, age, sex, circumstances, and date of death, according to Florida Department of Law Enforcement officials. (FDLE staffs the Florida Medical Examiners Commission.)
The Florida District Medical Examiners report hurricane deaths to the (MEC) following an autopsy and after confirming the death is storm-related.
The details show that most of the fatalities were older residents — in the mid to late 60s and up to the 90s, according to the data. Some deaths did not include an age. Most of the deaths were from drowning, the data show.
The six counties that had fatalities due to Ian were: Collier (3); Lake County (1); Lee County (12) ; Manatee (1); Sarasota County (2) and Volusia (4).
This list, so far, is from Friday evening, but there may be other deaths as well.
Here is the full list:
- Lake County, a 38-year-old male died in a vehicle accident when his car hydroplaned, on 9/28/22.
- Sarasota County, a 71-year-old male died of head injuries when he fell off a roof while putting up rain shutters, on 9/27/22.
- Manatee County, a 22-year-old female was ejected from an ATV rollover due to a road washout, on 9/30/22.
- Volusia County, 91-year-old male found drowned 9/29/22.
- Volusia County, 79-year-old-male found drowned 9/29/22.
- Volusia County, 67-year-old male found drowned 9/30/22.
- Volusia County, a 68-year-old female drowned after being swept into the ocean by a wave, on 9/29/22.
- Collier County, a 73-year-old female was found drowned on 9/29/22.
- Collier County, a 73-year-old female was found drowned on 9/28/22.
- Collier County, a 64-year-old female was found drowned on 9/28/22.
- Lee County, unknown age, was found lying prone on the deck of a neighbor, drowning on 9/30.
- Lee County, 82-year-old male found unresponsive, had history of natural diseases, natural causes, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, 63-year-old male, body recovered by FDLE, drowning on 9/30.
- Lee County, 87-year-old male, found in a submerged car, drowning and blunt force injuries, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, 61-year-old male, found draped over a bench, drowning, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, 88-year-old male, found on Fort Myers Beach, drowning, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, 92-year-old male, found under three feet of water, drowning, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, unknown age female, found floating in seven feet of water, drowned, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, 50-60 years old female, found in street in debris, drowned, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, 62-year-old female, tree fell on manufactured home, contusions on torso, drowning and blunt impact to torso, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, unknown age, female, found under residence in water and tangled in wires, drowning, 9/30/22.
- Lee County, 54-year-old male, found trapped in a window, mechanical asphyxia, and drowning, 9/30/22.
- Sarasota County, 80-year-old male, unable to use oxygen, collapsed in bathroom, obstructive pulmonary disease, natural causes, 9/30/22.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.